Brightspace Purdue – Guide to Purdue University LMS
Brightspace Purdue is the LMS (Learning Management System) established by D2L (Desire 2 Learn) that allows students of Purdue University to access various academic resources such as Course details, Course materials, Assessment, Grading score, Groups, Discussion and so much more. Students can access this portal from any location, at any time. Likewise, students can use this online space to take tests, quiz, complete assignments and other crucial academic tasks.
The online portal has an intuitive UI to make your experience more seamless and functional. The below will guide you through some of the most important features.
How to access Brightspace Purdue Login?
The first step is to login. In order to access the Brightspace Purdue Portal, follow these easy steps:
- Go to https://purdue.brightspace.com
- The screen will display 4 campus options to choose from in order to log into Purdue University Brightspace:
- Purdue West Lafayette
- Purdue Fort Wayne
- Purdue Global
- Purdue Northwest
- Choose your optimal campus and continue. You will be redirected to the Brightspace Purdue Login Page
- Enter your Username
- Enter your password
- Click on the ‘Sign In’ button to access the Brightspace Purdue portal
How to Access Grade Feedback in Brightspace Purdue?
For each assignment completed, you will get audio, written or rubric feedback. Rubric feedback is nothing but a scoring tool signifying the performance expectations from your assignment. The tool will divide your assignment into segments and provide an explicit description of elements linked to every component.
Here’s how you can access your feedback in the Brightspace Purdue whenever you submit your piece of work:
- Go to the drop-down menu in the Brightspace Purdue, under ‘Course Tools’ select ‘Assignments’
- In Assignments, you will see a complete list of the work you have submitted, due dates, etc. (Note: Discussions is not a part of the Assignments)
- In this section, you can see submitted work, feedback and grades. Right next to the feedback, click the ‘Unread’ or ‘Read’ button
- Read means you have already opened and read the feedback
- Unread means you haven’t opened or read the feedback
- Now, you can access the feedback provided
- Go to the ‘Grades’ section
- Look for the ‘Discussions’ option. Here you will find feedback on the right side
- To provide specific feedback, sometimes your instructor may use Rubric. It will be shown in the ‘Grades’ section; click on the ‘View Graded Rubric’ button.
How to Turn On Brightspace Purdue Notifications?
For the opted courses in each faculty, Brightspace Purdue won’t automatically send you notifications or an email to students. To stay updated with the important events or course information, you need to enable the notifications feature.
Here’s how you can enable the Brightspace Purdue Notifications:
- On the top right corner of the screen, click on your Name and click on the ‘Notifications’ in the drop-down menu
- In the ‘Contact Methods’, choose the email address that you would prefer to receive notifications at. It is recommended to select your Purdue email. If you wish to change the email address, choose ‘Change your email settings’. Optionally, you can also provide your mobile number.
- Go to ‘Summary of Activity’; choose the frequency at which you would prefer to get email notifications about Brightspace Purdue activities.
- For more customization, you can go to ‘Instant Notifications’ and choose the elements of the course for which you would like to be notified. It is highly recommended to select ‘Assignments’ here.
- Scroll down to the bottom for more customization options related to Notifications. Tick the ‘Allow future courses to send me notifications’ box, to get regular updates as per the applied settings.
- For courses that you do not want notifications from, go to ‘Manage my course exclusions’ and choose your course options.
- Click ‘Save’
How to Reset Your Brightspace Purdue Password?
If you are unable to access your Brightspace Purdue account for some reason, you can reset your password by following the simple process given below:
- Go to https://purdue.brightspace.com
- From the 4 campus options displayed, select your campus and you will be redirected to the Brightspace Purdue Login screen
- Click on the Forgot Password link
- Enter your PU ID Number
- Click on the Submit button
- On the email ID linked to your PU ID number, you will now receive a message containing a password reset link
- Click on the link, follow the given instructions and your password will be reset within minutes
How to use Kaltura to Submit Video Assignments?
Kaltura is a tool you can use to upload your video assignments or discussions in the Brightspace Purdue portal securely. The video assignments uploaded to ‘Assignments’ are only seen by your instructor, whereas the ones uploaded to the ‘Discussions’ can be seen by the instructor and fellow students who have access to the discussion forum.
- Log into Brightspace Purdue and open the course for which you want to upload a video
- To submit a video to an ‘Assignment’, go to Course Tools > Assignment > and look for the assignment name in the drop-down menu
- To submit a video to the Discussion boards, click on Course Tools > Discussions > search for the discussion
- Go to the submission segment, in the top left corner of the text box, select ‘Insert Stuff’
- Select ‘Add Kaltura Media’
- Click ‘+Add New’ on the top right, and choose Media Upload type
- Drag and drop the video file from your PC or you can click on the ‘+Choose a file to upload’, locate the file and upload it
- The selected file will be processed and converted by Kaltura
- When the video is ready, on the right side, click the </>Embed option
- Preview the video if you wish. Click ‘Insert’ to submit the video to the assignment or discussion
- Once it is added to the submission area, you can add any text or other content before clicking on Submit.